Saturday, February 9, 2008

Bridget Mccarthy page 1


Bridget McCarthy and I have been in touch with each other over the past few years. Recently, I had asked her if she would but her early memories of growing up in Ring on paper. I was delighted that she agreed to do this. It is a beginning...I know that she has plenty more memories in her head...
After leaving school, Bridget done some child minding in Ring, then went to her uncles in Clonmel looking after his five children as his wife died leaving a young family. She later spent a few years in service, there was no other work available to her.
While in service in Dublin, she saw an advert in a national paper recruiting workers for Lucas's in Birmingham. She duly applied for a position and traveled to Birmingham toward the end of 1948.She remained with Lucas for about 3 years, didn't like it and so left Birmingham, and did a summer season at a holiday camp in Devon as a waitress, she enjoyed this much better.

At the end of the season went home for a months holiday, money started to run out so 'I thought I had better get back to Birmingham', She got a job on the buses as a bus conductress and remained there until I got married.
I met he Husband Jim McCarthy at a friends wedding, Jim came from Belfast, they married June 1954, and have 3 children Kevin, Brendan and Pauline.
The family have lived in the same house from the day they married. Bridget says "I don't suppose I will move now."
Sadly Bridget's husband passed away early this year.
Bridget's memories, take up 10 pages, I hope surfers enjoy reading through them as much as I did. I have added some pictures that I recently took out in Ring...The place has changed dramatically since Bridget grew up there.
EC 08

No comments:

Anna Haslam and the Quakers of Piltown and Youghal

My god friend Mike Hackett who resides this side of Youghal Bridge is Youghl's foremost Historian. Mike has several books behind him And...